3 days popular7 days popular1 month popular3 months popular

Half of private householders in England and Wales could be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning

More than half of all homeowners and private renters in England and Wales are leaving themselves vulnerable to by failing to have an alarm installed, a survey by YouGov for Honeywell has found. While there is debate over the number of deaths linked to , the Department of Health estimates that each year in England and Wales there are approximately 4,000 visits to hospital accident and emergency departments that result from accidental 1 – largely avoidable when a home is equipped with a properly working .

Of the 2,882 respondents who acknowledged knowing what carbon monoxide is, only 47% of those have , and just 49% have regular servicing of their domestic appliances that can emit carbon monoxide. In other words, more than half of homeowners and private renters are potentially vulnerable to this deadly gas.

The findings also revealed that although 88% of respondents agreed that they would not be able to tell by smell if there was a carbon monoxide leak in a fuel-powered appliance in their home, less than half have a carbon monoxide alarm. This flies in the face of advice from UK national gas engineers’ watchdog, Gas Safe Register, for homes to have carbon monoxide alarms and for all fuel-powered appliances to be serviced annually.

“People are not protecting themselves even though they know the dangers of this killer gas,” said Andrew Thompson, vice president and general manager for Honeywell Analytics EMEA. “If we are to avoid more tragic deaths, there needs to be greater public awareness of the importance of installing fully-accredited and tested carbon monoxide alarms.”

Barry Sheerman, Member of Parliament for Huddersfield and co-chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group, campaigning for carbon monoxide alarms to be a mandatory requirement in UK homes, said: “The number of homes with alarms may be higher in this survey than industry expectations, as it does not include public sector and social housing. But carbon monoxide poisoning is a great danger and thousands of people are treated for it in hospital every year. We need carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in all homes now, preferably by professionals who have a role to play in protecting the public.”

More than three-quarters of respondents (76%) said they would follow a tradesperson’s recommendation about which type of alarm to buy. Furthermore, 76% said they would buy one from an engineer servicing an appliance in their home, if he or she offered to fit it and the price was reasonable.

Faced with many cheap and unreliable imports, householders also overwhelmingly stressed the need for high quality, with 88% saying that whether an alarm had a Kitemark or certification to European standards would be an important factor in deciding what to purchase.

“I would urge any householders without carbon monoxide protection to contact a Gas Safe Registered tradesperson and have a CO alarm with a Kitemark fitted immediately,” added Sheerman.

For more information on the dangers of carbon monoxide, visit www.homesafety.honeywell.com or for more information on the ‘No to CO’ campaign, visit www.no-to-co.co.uk to sign the e-petition to legislate carbon monoxide alarms in homes.

Source

1. Source: Department of Health, Nov. 21, 2013 Report

Source: Honeywell