Every summer, the news reports on a bacterium called Vibrio vulnificus found in warm saltwater that causes people to get sick, or die, after they eat raw tainted shellfish or when an open wound comes in contact with seawater.
This image shows a microscopic look at Vibrio vulnificus bacteria swimming around.
Credit:Paul Gulig/University of Florida
The research was conducted at the UCLA Center for Iron Disorders.
The study was funded by the UCLA Today’s and Tomorrow’s Children Fund, the UCLA Stein/Oppenheimer Endowment Award, the UCLA Children’s Discovery and Innovation Institute and the National Institutes of Health (grant R01 DK090554).